Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Beans, Beans, They're Good for Your Heart...

...especially on Valentine's Day.

I know it's been a little more than a full 24 hours removed since the big victory Monday night but I couldn't let another minute pass without expressing how fortunate I am to witness and be apart of a true dynasty (dare I say) in Division I college hockey. Boston College Hockey: three Beanpot Championships in four years, three Hockey East Championships in four years, and two National Championships in three years...and there's no sign of slowing down this season. Captain Whit and the boys are ranked #1 in the national standings this week and get a rematch of the recent Beanpot foe NU this coming Friday at home. Things are looking good. Again. I hate to say anything because of the fear of jinxing us, but I've never felt this confident in team to the point where I expect them to win every game since...well, a certain professional football squad in 2007. Our guys are doing some amazing things out there on the ice and that's all I really have to say.

Along the lines of the game itself, well, it wasn't the cleanest game of hockey I've seen, no. But as I said, I never lost the confidence that we would pull it off in the end. Even after the NU goal with a little over a minute left in regulation. This game had 2008 beanpot final vs. Harvard written all over it - a back-and-forth goal-laden affair with a few (un)fortunate bounces and a handful of defensive breakdowns. Throw in a few minutes of overtime and boom, 2008 beanpot deja vu - minus Nick Petrecki canoeing through center ice...


All in all, I couldn't be more proud of these guys. And at the same time, I couldn't be more proud of the BC fanbase. I don't know if it was just because this was my first time sitting 'outside' the student section portion of the bleachers but the fans looked great. A full four sections were filled, and there were plenty more overflowing just outside the main corner. It seemed like three or four years ago, there was half that number (something that still boggles my mind - who's not going to the Beanpot?). And yeah, people are going to make the argument that the place was louder when Northeastern scored then when BC did. You'd probably be right - but you have to take into consideration a couple things. A.) Any BU fans that were still there (you know who you are) were guaranteed rooting against BC (and not necessarily for NU). B.) Anyone else was either doing the same as BU fans or just rooting for NU because people who have no loyalty tend to side with the underdog - in this case, a team that hasn't won the tournament in 23 years. Can't really blame 'em, but then again, don't really feel bad for them either. As a colleague of mine likes to say, "haters gonna hate."

[Side note: I wanted to make a remark about lowly BU losing to an even lowlier Harvard in the consolation game, but to tell you the truth, I think that loss is embarrassing and humiliating enough for them. 4th place out of 4? Well, at least you can't get any worst next year, BU...]

Congratulations again to the boys for another absolutely amazing tournament victory. Two years in a row drinking out of that thing and that, my friends, is one thing that'll never get old...

No comments:

Post a Comment