Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend Recap: Hey Now, You're an All-Star

Things we learned this weekend:

1. All-star games can be fun!

Just take a look at the NHL. The league switched it up this year and instead of doing the usual "East vs. West" match-up, they decided to have a fantasy-type, school-yard-esque draft. I won't lie, I wasn't a big fan of the idea when they announced it. I thought it was just a silly idea to try to spark interest in a game that really doesn't matter. And then I realized that that's exactly what they were trying to do, and well...can you blame them? Gary Bettman, historically, hasn't ever really been the greatest model of marketing in the business and the league annually tries to keep it's proverbial head above water in the this nation's ocean of relevancy. I myself will watch professional hockey until the day I die, so no worries there. And no one really needs to worry about Canada losing interest in the sport any time soon. But as for the general American public, hockey comes in a distant fourth to Football, Baseball and Basketball (and in actuality, it's a
distant fifth if you consider NASCAR, which I heard somewhere along the line is first in terms of ratings? Sad, but true.) Well, after all is said and done, I think the NHL's
move this year was quite the success. It was no jackpot in my opinion, but it definitely made it more interesting to watch (Especially knowing that two players on the same team regularly - such as Zdeno Chara and Tim Thomas - would be playing against each other...or finally splitting up the Sedin twins, for that matter.) Not only that, but the skills competition on Saturday night was pretty entertaining too. I think it was really the first time I watched all (ok, most) of the skills comp, and I did enjoy it. Overall, I give the NHL a B+ this year for the All-Star game.

[Side note: Has anyone checked Jeff Skinner's (see photo) birth certificate? Like this kid has to be no older than 12 years old, right? Every time they cut to him this weekend, I thought someone had switched the station to Nickelodeon. Like honestly, this kid makes Danny Woodhead look like Bob Barker.]

2. All-Star games can be not fun...(still)

The NFL should just get rid of the ProBowl. I really can't see it getting any better. And it's pretty bad. It's actually amazing how many people I've heard completely shit on the ProBowl (for lack of a better phrase) - and it's just about everyone I've talked to. People don't like it, and I think the NFL knows that. The league spends very little to no money promoting the actual game, knowing that people won't watch it anyway, so why bother? Now that I think about it, I don't think they should get rid of it. Every sport needs an all-star break or game of some sort. But football is just so awkward. The season is too short to have it in the middle of season and players would never play with the fear of getting hurt mid-season anyway - chances are a lot of the players would rather have a second bye-week to rest than have to play an extra week. So what do you do? The league has already moved the game to the week before the Super Bowl, rather
than having it the week after. Good move, other than the fact that you'll never
see a Super Bowl contending player in that game now.
The NFL has tried to move the game to mainland USA (in 2010), rather than the Hawai'i site they've used since 1980. Bad move, keep
it in Hawai'i. It gives the players a little vacation/reason to actually go to the ProBowl, and it keeps the god-awful game as far away as possible from here. It is kind of cool seeing all my fantasy football stars in one place at one time, but really, there's just something about Brandon Merriweather and Darelle Revis joking around together in the same secondary that just bugs me...Oh yeah, and seeing Bill Belichick wearing a lei and a visor makes me want to throw up in my mouth. Talk about everything I thought I knew about the man crashing down in front of my eyes (although, he did look very uncomfortable in the attire). Overall NFL all-star grade: C-, per usual.

3. Antonio Cromartie needs to go away.

Sorry, JP, I have to rip the Jets just once more...Antonio Cromartie, go away. Stop whining and crying and threatening everyone in the league. Yeah, we get it, you don't want a lockout. No one does. You want to play next year, I get that. I want to see you (well, not you, per se) play. But how about getting stuff done productively instead of looking to pick a fight with everyone? For those who don't know, I'm referring to this article posted on ESPN.com later last week, where Cromartie threatened to "smash Matt Hasselbeck's face in" after Hasselbeck tweeted about Cromartie's recent comments. Really, Cromartie? You're going to smash his face in? Real professional. This was just like the time you called Tom Brady an "a--hole" after Wes Welker made quirky innuendos about Rex Ryan's foot fetish. It's funny how much trash talking you do through the fact that you can't take the trash talk yourself. And it's not even trash talk, it's just a little joke that most people would laugh off, accept or ignore. But no, Cromartie, you took the violent/threatening road. Someone says something you don't like and you get all defensive like a whiny little kid. Which is ironic, because you have 7 of them with 6 different women. Go away.


4. Never leave me and Biggz alone in your apartment while you go to the store...not even for 5 minutes.

So while Sasha was out running a few errands on Newbury, we decided to play "Easter-TP Hunt" in his bathroom. Can you count the number of rolls hidden in the picture below?

5. There's a difference between a "number 3" on hair clippers and a "number 3" on facial hair clippers.

Biggz found out the hard way.
[Side note: after this happened, I immediately thought of that scene in "My Best Friend's Girl" when Jason Biggs' character accidentally shaves his eyebrow off. It basically played out the same way as the movie, with the same reaction and everything - but the strangest thing is the fact that this happened to Biggz. Biggs, Biggz...I couldn't make this stuff up. Absolutely perfect.]

[Side note to the side note: I actually enjoyed "My Best Friend's Girl". Going into it, it had all the makings to be a horrible flop - it was a cliche romantic comedy featuring the quintessential RomCom superstar Kate Hudson and the sell-out stand-up-comic-turned-annoyingly-likable-romcom-protagonist Dane Cook. Although, I don't blame Mr. Cook for "Employee of the Month." Jessica Simpson's horrendous acting ruined everything about that movie. But I'd have to say, MBFG was one of the better RomComs I've seen in a while. The way it opens with Dane Cook recklessly "tanking" the date is genius and the wedding scene later on is pretty good too. But in all seriousness, my favorite part about that movie by FAR is the comedic acting ability of Alec Baldwin. He nailed the part of Dane Cook's chauvinistic and relentlessly obscene father and the scene when he's in his office with Dane and his secretary (also, continued here) is purely phenomenal. It really makes me want to get more into 30Rock.]

Good weekend. Overall: B. Which is the combined grade of me and Biggz' attractiveness level, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment